For the photo mat, I merely used an embossing folder that fit the theme of my lay out, and then once it was embossed, I tore the edges, lightly sanded the raised embossed image, and ran a light tea stain color of ink over it. A bit of black pigment ink around the edges for a bit of a masculine effect.
For the embellishment mats, I tore the correct sizes needed for each sticker, then crumpled them, flattened, and crumpled again. I repeated this one more time, then lightly sanded the card stock to let the yellow core show through just a bit.
For me, I often use pigment inks instead of dye based inks. I find they have a richer feel to them, and it translates into for texture in my projects. Here I used a brown pigment ink lightly applied to the creases and edges.
Add a few wraps with some light weight craft wire, and of course some bling. On this lay out, I used the iRock from Imaginisce.